Date:      Sat, 15 Jun 2002 03:00:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Hiten Pandya <hiten@uk.FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   docs/39293: the dumpon man page incorrectly states that sysctl(3) is used

The following reply was made to PR docs/39293; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Hiten Pandya <hiten@uk.FreeBSD.org>
To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Cc: Martin =?iso-8859-1?Q?Fax=E9r?= <gmh003532@brfmasthugget.se>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 10:50:08 +0100

 Hi.

 As far as I know, and my research goes, this change should only be
 applied to CURRENT, but NOT to be MFC'ed.  This is because, if you:

   o look into the dumpon source code, you will see that this
     change, coined as "New dumping infrastructure" was implemented
     in revision 1.14, BRANCH: MAIN by the great phk.

   o The RELENG_4, and RELENG_4_5, AND RELENG_4_6 are still using
     the sysctl(3) infrastructure; because as far as my knowledge
     goes, the new DUMPING ioctl's are only available in -current
     thus made use by -current only.

 I hope this helps to clear my point.
 Thanks.

 --