Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 1996 13:52:56 +0100
From:      Jesper Hagen <hagen@iesd.auc.dk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Urgent problem with ATI Graphics Expression.

Hello.

A year ago we invested in a number of ATI Graphics Expression PCI 2 MB
DRAM, which ran flawlessly under FreeBSD and XFree 3.1.2.

Half a year ago we ordered a new bunch of these cards because of the
high stability, and discovered to our suprise, that the could no
longer do HIGH color nor 1280x1024 under XFree 3.1.2. Well not a
serious problem...

Right now we have just received a new bunch of the cards which simply
blanks the screen at the moment when the FreeBSD kernel has been
loaded and starts probing for devices. This screen remains blank until
the machine reboots. In other words, not even TEXT MODE is possible
under FreeBSD with this new shipment.

Has anyone experienced these problems and come up with possible
solutions?

I would appreciate quick responses, since we are getting seriously
close to the point of no refund...

The card that blanks, is the 1995 edition. The Mach64 Chip is made in
Taiwan and bears the following text:

	"MACH64 215CT22200
         \mu PD96137GD-401-LML
         9547KC568"

The VIDEOBIOS is fram 1995.

Yours sincerely,
--
Jesper Hagen

Department of Mathematics and Computer Science.
Aalborg University, Denmark.