Date:      20 Jan 1999 17:52:42 +1100
From:      "John Saunders" <john.saunders@nlc.net.au>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Booting -current with new loader

I wrote:
> I'm off now to play now with rootdev and boot_askname.

Well, if I let the standard boot process occur, then I stop the loader and
set rootdev=disk3s1a: I can get the kernel running in single user mode
but mount refuses to remount / as rw. It's curious that the message about
changing the root device doesn't occur, time for debug output in the
kernel.

BTW boot_askname doesn't :-) I read some comments in the kernel source
to the effect "maybe we should prompt for a boot device here" so I
didn't expect it to work.

The next option is configuring my master drive on the secondary interface
as wd1 instead of wd2.

I'm not sure about anybody else here, but to my mind a "Winblows on C:
drive and let's try out FreeBSD on the second disk" configuration should
really be supported seamlessly. The option of putting the second drive
as slave on the primary interface would work, however anybody that knows
anything about IDE (read somebdy interested in trying FreeBSD) would put
it on the second interface for speed reasons.

Cheers.
        .     | John Saunders  - mailto:john@nlc.net.au            (EMail) |
    ,--_|\    |                - http://www.nlc.net.au/              (WWW) |
   /  Oz  \   |                - 02-9489-4932 or 041-822-3814      (Phone) |
   \_,--\_/   | NHJ NORTHLINK COMMUNICATIONS - Supplying a professional,   |
         v    | and above all friendly, internet connection service.       |