Date:      Thu, 2 Nov 2006 20:13:57 +0100
From:      "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen@punkt.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, peterjeremy@optushome.com.au
Subject:   Re: 6.x from i386 to amd64

Hi!

> drwxr-xr-x   ...   lib32
> drwxr-xr-x   ...   lib64
> lrwxr-xr-x   ...   lib -> lib${ARCH_BITS}
>
> ARCH_BITS would be set to "64" globally, and it would be
> set to "32" for i386 applications.  Then every program
> would find the correct libs automagically.

> PS:  For those who are not familiar with variant symlinks:
> http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/cgi/web-man?command=ln
> http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/cgi/web-man?command=varsym

Just for the record: Secure Computing's Sidewinder Firewall
running on a BSD/OS with S.C.'s proprietary extensions
uses a similar mimic to reference files depending on
which "burb" (i.e. zone of trust) a process is running in.

Cool to see it in Dragonfly and hopefully FreeBSD. I can
imagine interesting setups for HA systems, for example:

script -> script${AM_I_ACTIVE_OR_PASSIVE}

Regards,
Patrick
--
punkt.de GmbH         Internet - Dienstleistungen - Beratung
Vorholzstr. 25        Tel. 0721 9109 -0 Fax: -100