Date:      Thu, 1 Jul 1999 16:21:50 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Dan Strick <dan@math.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, FreeBSD-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pccard problems

On Wednesday, 30 June 1999 at 22:56:43 -0700, Dan Strick wrote:
> I am attempting to configure a couple of pccards on a DELL Inspiron 3500
> running FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE.  Neither card works:
>
> 1) The first card is some sort of DVD/MPEG-2 decoder card.  It seems
>    to be called a "DELL Margi".  Whenever the card is inserted and
>    pccardd is running, the entire system hangs so hard that console
>    I/O no longer works.  Even ctl-alt-del is ignored.  The power
>    button is ignored.  I have to turn the machine off by poking a
>    special hidden recessed button on the side with a paper clip.
>
>    I don't expect to find a FreeBSD driver for this card, but I would
>    prefer that having it physically installed didn't hang the system.

Indeed.  Is it possibly interrupting on a line which something else is
using?  I've found a problem on my Latitude where it appears that the
machine only has two interrupts free (3 and 9).  If I put a modem on 3
and an Ethernet board on 9, it works, but only by putting pccardd on
irq 5, which doesn't really work.  If I pull the Ethernet card, the
whole machine hangs up when I try to access the net, presumably
because pccardd hasn't found out about it.

> 2) The second card is a "DELL 10/100 LAN+56K Modem CardBus by 3Com".
>    A label on the back of the card says "Model 3CCFEM656".
>
>    The command "pccardc dumpcis" reports:
>
> 	Configuration data for card in slot 1
> 	Tuple #1, code = 0xff (Terminator), length = 0
>
>    I assume that pccardd cannot recognize and configure cards without
>    configuration data.  Is this card broken in some sense?  Can anyone
>    recommend a driver?

I've seen this kind of problem on my Latitude laptop after running
Microsoft.  It seems that Microsoft sets the board state in such a way
that a simple reboot doesn't reset it, and this is the result.  If I
power down the machine and then boot it with FreeBSD, I don't have any
problems.  Have you tried that?

Greg