Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 2002 13:07:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        hubs@freebsd.org
Cc:        jhay@icomtek.csir.co.za
Subject:   Re: ftp-master slow or busy?

In article <200204021847.g32IljX08846@zibbi.icomtek.csir.co.za>,
John Hay  <jhay@icomtek.csir.co.za> wrote:

> Is ftp-master very busy or is there some kind of congestion on the links
> close to it? Update speeds seems very slow lately. Mostly it has been
> 20kByte/s or slower. A while back I got up to 100k, which is pretty good
> for something from down here in South Africa. Although at that stage I
> was still using rsync and now I'm using cvsup. Can it be that cvsup is
> more sensitive to the long delays?

Yes, CVSup probably does have a problem with long fat pipes.  In
multiplexed mode (the default), the receive buffers are of fixed size
and are probably not big enough to accomodate fast links with high
latencies.  I'd suggest trying passive mode with "-P -" on the cvsup
command line.  This may solve your problem, or at least help.  If it
doesn't, then it might also be necessary to hack the code to increase
the socket buffer sizes.  Unfortunately, that would have to be done on
the server side as well.

John
--
  John Polstra