Date:      Wed, 30 Oct 2002 09:26:09 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Raymond Kohler <raymond.j.kohler@lmco.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: questions about the state of current

On (2002/10/29 13:06), Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :Most of the speed difference is WITNESS, INVARIANTS, and other
> :debugging code that's turned on by default in the config files
> :for -current.  You can turn most of it off.  That said, -current
> :is slower than -stable in a number of places, so expect some
> :slowdown, if you are running non-concurrent code.
>
>     I would concur with this diagnosis.  With witness turned off
>     -current is around 15% slower then -stable for general purpose
>     computing, like a 'make buildworld -j 20', and I expect that
>     -stable will beat out -current on single-cpu boxes for a long
>     time to come.

I hate to "me too", but I have a different flavour to offer prospective
early adopters.

I tried out -CURRENT on my Compaq Presario 2700 (yuk, spit), which is a
512MB PIII.  When I downgraded to -STABLE, the performance with simple
command-line stuff was noticible.  Not huge, but "tangible to a human
being".

So the answer to "will I notice a performance degredation" is "yes for
typical end-users, but not huge".

Ciao,
Sheldon.