Date:      Fri, 2 Jul 1999 12:58:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Adrian Filipi-Martin <adrian@ubergeeks.com>
To:        Graham Wheeler <gram@cequrux.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Porting LILO to FreeBSD

On Fri, 2 Jul 1999, Graham Wheeler wrote:

> Adrian Filipi-Martin wrote:
> >

> >         The standard boot partition selection softwre also works fine
> > booting windoze OS's from other disks.  All you need to do is set the "disk
> > id" in the DOS MBR to the correct number, 0x81 for your second disk. That's
> > the only thing that MS doesn't do correctly whe installing the OS on the
> > non-primary disk.  I used to do this a long time ago to boot FreeBSD of the
> > "C" drive and the other stuff off of "second C" drive.
>
> I'll try that this weekend. Preumably I can just do this under FreeBSD
> using fdisk?

	You cannot do it using fdisk.  I tonly manipulates the parition
table poriton of the MBR.  The "bios device" number is in portion before
the partition table.  I hesitate to just give an offset and say poke away,
so I'd look for a disk editing tool like Norton Disk Editor.  That's what I
used when I last did this a few years ago.

	Adrian
--
[ adrian@ubergeeks.com -- Ubergeeks Consulting -- http://www.ubergeeks.com/ ]