Date:      Tue, 11 Nov 2014 21:10:09 +0300 (MSK)
From:      Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
To:        Steven Hartland <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SuperMicro IPMI/SOL and ipmitool troubles

On Tue, 11 Nov 2014, Steven Hartland wrote:

> > I'm trying to set up sol console for supermicro servers, reading some
> > documents
> > including TestClusterOne, mainly:
> >
> > > For serial redirection to work, in the BIOS you need to redirect to com
> > > port
> > > B and in /boot/device.hints you need hint.uart.1.flags="0x10" and enable
> > > getty on
> > > cuau1
> > I can see BIOS screen ok; boot1/2 and boot/loader work fine also.  However,
> > could not see kernel console output via SOL, neither getty on ttyu1 works.
> > I tried different speeds, std vs 3wire, explicitely set console=comconsole
> > vidconsole -- no luck.
> >
> > I even trued to use `ipmitool sol activate' on one side and `tip -115200
> > com2'
> > on the other -- stiil no data between.
> >
> > Any hints?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > For the reference:
> >
> > marck@centipede:~> ipmitool -H mc26.int -U root -I lanplus sol info
> > Password:
> > Set in progress                 : set-complete
> > Enabled                         : true
> > Force Encryption                : false
> > Force Authentication            : false
> > Privilege Level                 : USER
> > Character Accumulate Level (ms) : 0
> > Character Send Threshold        : 0
> > Retry Count                     : 0
> > Retry Interval (ms)             : 0
> > Volatile Bit Rate (kbps)        : 115.2
> > Non-Volatile Bit Rate (kbps)    : 115.2
> > Payload Channel                 : 1 (0x01)
> > Payload Port                    : 623
> >
> This is what we use:
> http://blog.multiplay.co.uk/2012/12/freebsd-serial-over-lan/

Hm. Does not seem to work for me, for 10.1: I set all the values at loader
prompt, issue `boot -s' -- and then, last loader line (kernel load process)
goes to both java KVM and sol, and then kernel messages only to KVM, and
finally prompt for single user shell -- nowhere :(

--
Sincerely,
[ FreeBSD committer:                                 marck@FreeBSD.org ]