Date:      Tue, 8 Jun 1999 12:34:39 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        hqy2446 <hqy2446@is2.nyu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: newbie question: ssh

On Tue, Jun 08, 1999 at 03:07:49AM -0400, hqy2446 wrote:
> I have a newbie question regarding X connection forward by ssh.
>
> After I installed ssh-1.2.27 and ssh-2.0.13, I was unable to use 'X
> connection forwarding' at certain servers.  Now I tried this command:
>
> $ ssh -l [username] [remote host] xterm -display [my ip address]:0.0
>
> xterm of the remote host was opened and I could run X clients on the host.
>
> I want to make sure that this connection is secured or not by experts or
> experienced users of ssh.

Not secured.

> And one more question: What is the difference between above way of
> connection and just a connection to a remote host by ssh(just like a
> telnet)  and run X clinets at the remote host shell?

ssh will normally set up an emulated display at localhost:10.0 (or
11.0, 12.0, etc - depends on how many other ssh users you have.)  This
is securely forwarded, and is what you'll normally use.  Your setup
makes the program use an insecure connection over the normal net
instead.

Eivind.