Date:      Mon, 11 Oct 1999 19:26:24 -0600
From:      "ByteLock" <bytelock@home.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Network, Cable modem, Questions

I have a few questions about networking with FreeBSD.

I currently own 5 Machines, 3 Windows 98 Machines, 1 Windows NT Server 4.0,
and 1 FreeBSD 3.3 Machine

I Have 2 Hubs a Linksys 10 /100 autosensing 5 port hub. and a Netgear 100
hub.
All machines have 10 / 100 cards
The 3 windows 98 machines have Static ip address's setup on them that i
purchased
from my cable modem provider. So all 3 of them can connect to the internet
with ease

What i would like to do is give FreeBSD 1 static ip address and have it
connect
The nt machine, and 1 windows 98 machine to the internet. I only have one
network
card in the freebsd machine.. I would like to keep it that way, as i'm out
of cable and
nics to install. I would also like the windows machines to be able to see
the freebsd
machine on the network.... I.e. Telnet into if i want to ect.. Now my
problem.. I
can't figure out if i need Ip aliasing, i think i do since i have only 1 nic
in the freebsd
machine.. And NATD is very confusing to setup for me its almost like reading
greek

So basically if i can telnet into FreeBSD from any of my other machines on
the network
I'd be a happy camper..

I'm using 192.168.68.0 for my internal ip addressing. and my cable provider
has issued 24.*.*.* for my 3 purchased ip addresses.

So my NT Machine is using 192.168.68.1 and FreeBSD isn't setup yet
as i'm not sure if i need to set it as 192.168.68.0 and then ALIAS 24.*.*.*
or what..

If someone can give me a website or a comprehensive run down on what needs
to be
installed and setup.. And or instuctions on using NATD, and IPALIAS Would be
most appreciative.

Also i'm sure i'll have to setup routes and stuff.. Argh its all so
confusing where to start
and what to do..

Thanks

ByteLock@home.com