Date:      Wed, 4 Jul 2001 14:42:12 +0200
From:      "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        Nuno Teixeira <nuno.teixeira@pt-quorum.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wrong directory struture in Qmail port?

--dFWYt1i2NyOo1oI9

Mike Meyer(mwm@mired.org)@2001.07.03 17:32:47 +0000:
> The answer is some yes, some no. Parts of /var/qmail should go in
> PREFIX if you follow the hier man page. Others belong in /var. The
> choices would be to put it all in /var (the qmail way), all in
> PREFIX/qmail - which as you note you can do, or split the port up into
> lots of parts. The last one is a lot of work, and if you do it I'd be
> glad to help test it. Of the other two, I prefer having my mail queue
> in /var, so the first one seems best.

qmail should go in it's standard place, the whole bunch of files and
dirs under the /var/qmail hierarchy. if you plan to split it up, some
people on the qmail mailing list will probably hate you since the
potential problems that arise can not be recognized and/or fixed by the
qmail-literate folks anymore. having a fixed hierarchy in /var/qmail
makes sense because it is the same layout on all supported oses and
distributions -- call it standard.

besides the fact that if you split it up you violate dan's distribution
policy but that's another issue...

/k

--=20
> I own my own body. But I share.
KR433/KR11-RIPE -- WebMonster Community Founder -- nGENn GmbH Senior Techie
http://www.webmonster.de/ -- ftp://ftp.webmonster.de/ -- http://www.ngenn.n=
et/
karsten&rohrbach.de -- alpha&ngenn.net -- alpha&scene.org -- catch@spam.de
GnuPG 0x2964BF46 2001-03-15 42F9 9FFF 50D4 2F38 DBEE  DF22 3340 4F4E 2964 B=
F46
Please do not remove my address from To: and Cc: fields in mailing lists. 1=
0x

--dFWYt1i2NyOo1oI9

--dFWYt1i2NyOo1oI9--