Date:      Fri, 24 May 2002 10:44:21 +0200
From:      "Carroll, D. (Danny)" <Danny.Carroll@mail.ing.nl>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Is mpd or natd broken in 4.6?...

I am not sure if this is a stable question or a mpd-port issue but I am
trying here first.

After upgrading to 4.6 PRERELEASE (May 16th) from 4.5-STABLE (A few
weeks earlier) I started noticing intermittent timeouts on my
firewall/natd router.
At first I thought it was my ISP but now I am convinced that it is the
FreeBSD machine.

The connection is an ADSL connection and it actually does not die, but I
just lose connectivity for about 5 seconds every 10 minutes.  The
network interface is ng0 (mpd-3.8).

The strange thing is that I can use the linux port pptp-client (network
interface tun0 with ppp) and it will work just fine.  (I had originally
setup my firewall this way but when I heard about the mpd port I figured
it would be a better way to go.)

Has anyone else noticed problems with mpd?  For me both 3.7 and 3.8 are
affected.

Here is my basic setup:

    PSTN Phone line                                       3Com xl0
3Com xl1
ISP --------------- ADSL Modem (Alcatel Speed touch home) --------
FreeBSD with Natd and mpd-3.8 -------- Private LAN.

But when I use the linux pptp client, the pppd daemon does the Nat and
NOT NatD.  I do not think this is relevant but you never know.

-D
-----------------------------------------------------------------=0A=
ATTENTION:=0A=
The information in this electronic mail message is private and=0A=
confidential, and only intended for the addressee. Should you=0A=
receive this message by mistake, you are hereby notified that=0A=
any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or use of this=0A=
message is strictly prohibited. Please inform the sender by=0A=
reply transmission and delete the message without copying or=0A=
opening it.=0A=
=0A=
Messages and attachments are scanned for all viruses known.=0A=
If this message contains password-protected attachments, the=0A=
files have NOT been scanned for viruses by the ING mail domain.=0A=
Always scan attachments before opening them.=0A=