Date:      Sat, 4 Mar 1995 12:40:00 GMT
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Status of diskless

I am trying diskless diskless with snap950210 and the distribution
kernel. Have found a couple of problem this far (I expect more to come,
but I cannot continue playing with it now...)

First, the file "netboot.com" produced by the netboot code is not a
real ".COM" file, the good one is "netboot.com.nohdr". I already
pointed this out previously.

Second: when the client and the server are on different networks,
the client gets stuck with the following message:

wd0: changing size of 'd' partition ...
NFS SWAP: 131.114.83.5:/usr/diskless_root/swapfiles
using 4096 kbyte
NFS ROOT: 131.114.83.5:/usr/diskless_root
nfs send error 65 for server 131.114.83.5:/usr/diskless_root/swapfiles

I can get past this point if the server and the client are on the same
subnet. Looks like the netmask is not passed properly from the loader
to the kernel.

Third: is there a FAQ on diskless stuff ? It would be really useful.

	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522