Date:      Sun, 26 Dec 2004 08:30:05 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <PeterJeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Benjamin Lutz <benlutz@datacomm.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: slow system freeze - panic

On Sat, 2004-Dec-25 10:35:43 +0100, Benjamin Lutz wrote:
>> Hmm.  I can't find that string anywhere in the sources.  Are you sure
>> "rm.mutex_mtx" is correct?
>
>yes.

It seems that it's inside the NVidia driver - which isn't in the source
tree.  That explains why I couldn't find it.  I think this panic is
a side-effect of enabling INVARIANTS and/or WITNESS.

>> I suggest you read ddb(4) and the developer's handbook URL that I
>> posted.
>
>I did. It doesn't mean much to me, really, since the kernel code is
>totally unfamiliar to me. I don't really know what I'm looking for...
>(ok, in this case, the mention of nvidia_* was kind of obvious :) )

Basically, if the system panics, run a 'trace'.  If the system is
frozen, the trace is less important.

Since you're now back to the previous problem, can you try the same ddb
commands when the system is frozen.  It would probably be useful if
you can force a crashdump (see the developer's handbook for details).
Remember to set "dumpdev" to a suitable location (eg your swap partition)
in your /etc/rc.conf.  You can enable it without rebooting using
"dumpon -v [dumpdevice]" (or /etc/rc.d/dumpon start).

--
Season's Greetings
Peter Jeremy