Date:      Sat, 4 May 2002 20:36:03 -0400
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: suspend problems between 4.2R and 4.5 ?

Well, FWIW, I've noticed that suspect is failing for me now and I know it
used to work.  As it happens, on my 512M laptop, a suspend to disk takes
longer than shutdown/reboot sequence, though, so I very rarely use this
feature, so I'm not sure quite when or why it broke.

My is set up only to suspend to memory and it used to be ok; now it actualy
suspends ok but it crashes quite regularly upon resume.

Dell Inspiron 8000.  I frankly doubt that this is connected to your case,
though--as it as it may sounds I know that mine was working the last time I
did a kernel update (which was when I applied the 2nd ATA hot-swap fixes, and
I specifically tested suspend.

It seems to be somehow connected to some user-level program I've started
running since then, but I haven't figure out what yet.  It is very tiresome
testing this since after it crashes it has to re-fsck my 67G worth of HD
space . . .

On Friday 03 May 2002 09:19 am, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
| Hi,
| i just upgraded FreeBSD on my laptop (Sharp AX10) from roughly 4.2
| (late april 2001) and a RELENG_4 of a few days ago, and it seems
| that suspend does not work anymore -- apm still reports the capabilities
| right, but apm -z hangs the machine within a couple of seconds without
| going into the bios to save memory onto disk.
| I thought i screwed up the suspend partition on disk, but this is not the
| case because if I boot the old kernel suspend works fine.
|
| The kernel config file seems the same -- files in sys/i386/apm/ have
| not changed significantly between the two kernels, so i was wondering
| what could be the cause of this proble.
|
| Any idea, before i go and do a binary search on kernels compiled
| with sources between now and last year to find out when the problem
| came out ?
|
| 	thanks
| 	luigi

Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                        http://www.babbleon.org

http://www.eff.org                      http://www.programming-freedom.org

If you smell the smoke you don't need to be told what you've got to do;
Yet there's a certain breed, so very in-between, they'd rather take a
vote.   -- DEVO  --  Here To Go