Date:      Tue, 30 Jun 1998 08:31:41 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        christopher.wood@bellhow.com (Christopher Wood)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ultra-DMA

In a previous message, Christopher Wood said:
> I'm considering putting together a low-end pentium machine to run fBSD
> on...
> I want to go SCSI, but Ultra-DMA would be much cheaper. Can fBSD utilize
> Ultra-DMA hardware? And if I want to use this machine for CD copying,
> would
> I still need SCSI, or would UDMA be sufficient?

There is no driver for ATAPI CD burners yet. I've also yet to get
either my old Philips CDD2000 or my new Yamaha CDR400tx working
with FreeBSD (though I haven't spent a lot of time on it).

I use EIDE and SCSI on various systems. I prefer SCSI but the EIDE
works pretty well. I don't know if Ultra DMA is supported yet, but
the drives will work.

Alternatively, you could look on some of the auction sites. I
watch onsale.com and in the last week have seen a 4.3 gig Seagate
Hawk (with SCA connector so you need a $20 adapter) go for about
$130. Or a 4.3 gig Seagate Barracuda for about $200.

> Also, if anyone has equiment lists and/or shopping lists from reputable
> vendors
> they have used to build a fBSD system, could you forward it to me
> please?

I bought my stuff (gigabyte MB and Cyrix chip, case, etc) from atipa.com
and am quite happy with it. That was a year and a half ago.

> Thanks,
>
> Chris
>
> --
>         Christopher L. Wood                      Software Engineer
>     christopher.wood@bellhow.com            Bell+Howell PSC, Richfield
> OH
> (B+H only) http://www.bellhow.com/~wood            (330) 659-1856
> these opinions are mine mine mine mine mine mine mine mine mine all
> mine!

Women do not appear to have a high opinion of men. This is unfair.
Oh, sure, men in the past have displayed certain unfortunate behavior
patterns that tended to produce unhappy relationships, world wars,
etc. But today's man is different. Today's man knows that he's
supposed to be a sensitive and caring relationship partner, and he's
making radical life-style changes such as sometimes remembering to
remove the used tissue wads from his pockets before depositing his pants
on the floor to be picked up by the Laundry Fairy.  --Dave Barry