Date:      Mon, 23 Sep 1996 10:09:20 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        michael butler <imb@asstdc.com.au>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3C589b + ep driver

[ Added -mobile ]

> I'm still fighting with my laptop (100MHz TP560) and the ep driver.
> Intermittently, the "link OK" light on my hub goes out and ifconfig reports
> the driver hung in the OACTIVE state.

FWIW, I'm now starting to see these as well with the if_zp driver under
-current, and I *NEVER* saw them before in the almost 2 years I ran 2.1
and 2.1.5.

However, looking at the code it appears that the other than someone
running it through indent which screwed up a lot of the formatting,
there aren't that many changes to affect the low-level functionality of
the driver.

So far I'm seeing the addtion of IPX support, staticizing functions and
data and removing dead code, the removal of TRAILERS, BPF changes, and
other misc. formatting stuff.

But, nothing jumps out at me which should affect the driver itself, so
I'm suspecting something in the other code, which also makes no sense.

> Since it seems that others are now having similar experiences with similarly
> structured drivers (e.g. if_vx), I wonder if someone could shed some light
> on what is going on (and how to fix it :-)) ?

This is what also implies that it's not something necessarily specific
to the drivers, but something that changes which might require all of
the drivers to be modified.

Nate