Date:      Thu, 05 Jun 2008 16:32:02 -0600
From:      Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
To:        Jo Rhett <jrhett@netconsonance.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: challenge: end of life for 6.2 is premature with buggy 6.3

Jo Rhett wrote:
> On Jun 4, 2008, at 5:44 PM, Scott Long wrote:
>> Really, if it's such a big issue that you have time to bitch an moan
>> on the mailing lists, I don't understand why you don't have time to also
>> help a goddamned developer identify the problem.  Are you actually
>> experiencing problems with 6.3, or not?
>

> None of the bugs were in a state with the developer trying to identify
> the system.  We have several systems dedicated for FreeBSD developers to
> use for test cases already, and we'd be happy to provide another if one
> was necessary.

What is needed prior to talking about loaner systems and test cases is
for you to say, "Hardware XYZ isn't working for me anymore.  It used to
do FOO, and now it does BAR."  That's the first step.  It's a simple
step, but it's an essential step.  Seriously.  And if you aren't
actually experiencing any problems, then all I can say is that your
input on the release and support process has been noted, and we all
look forward to bug reports from you in the future.  And before you
circle back on the "but but but the PR database shows unresolved bugs"
argument, understand that few of us on this mailing lists are idiots;
we know how to read, and we are aware that there are PR entries.  What
pushes a stalled PR along, though, is having an interested party bring
it up and offer insight into the specifics of it.  Just pointing from
afar adds nothing to the process.  You're welcome to disagree on that
point, but it seems pretty clear that continuing to argue it in this
forum isn't really solving anything.

So I'll try one last time.... you seem to be concerned about possible
bugs in the the 3ware and broadcom drivers.  Can you please provide
specifics on what you are concerned about?  Any personal insight or
experience you have would be highly helpful and appreciated.

Scott