Date:      Mon, 6 Mar 1995 11:58:22 -0600
From:      cwelch@esu3.esu3.k12.ne.us (Craig Welch)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Linux or FreeBSD

Actually, I'm following the advice of your web page and directing a
less-web related question here.  I want to set up a more or less "mission
critical" environment to provide internet E-Mail, gopher, ftp, etc and mix
it with a PC filespace.  So, I'm thinking of either an NFS solution of some
kind, or possibly SAMBA (SMB based tcpip server, freeware...) and I want to
have some feedback on whether Linux or FreeBSD would be the best vehicle.
I presently run Linux, have for some time, happy with it, but I often hear
that BSD is supposed to perform better under load.  Is this true?  Are
there any hard numbers on this?  Is there any info out there on which
(Linux or BSD) has the larger user or development base?  I've noticed that
the ftp.cdrom.com (official distribution site) runs on BSD, is this for
performance or other reasons?  Thanks, all info greatly appreciated...

______________________________________
\   Craig Welch                       \
  \   Technology Facilitator            \
   \   Millard North High School,        \