Date:      Tue, 11 Jan 2000 00:03:49 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <freebsd@sasknow.com>
To:        m <kamidesu@hotpop.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3 reboot lines

On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, m wrote:

>  Hello. When I reboot my system, I receive 3 lines stating this (system
> reboot by root). Also, when ROOT logins, I receive 2 lines "root login
> (root) on ttyvX", but these line appear only on ttyv0.
>
>  Why? a variable set anywhere?
>
>  Thanks.

Have a look at man pages for syslog and syslog.conf.  In particular,
you'll need to edit /etc/syslog.conf to prevent output to multiple ttys.
(You'll see messages in duplicate because, by default, root receives a
copy of many messages, such as wheel auths, and so does ttyv0.  Disable as
many as you like, or reroute to appropriate log files.

Hope this helps,

Ryan Thompson