Date:      Thu, 9 Oct 1997 19:11:28 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, fullermd@futuresouth.com
Subject:   Re: group assignments from make world.

> You have to get the password from -current monthly and place it in
> /etc/current-pwd in order to build the system.  If your password is
> too old, it won't build.  Experienced users can hack this out fairly
> easily, and we'd not ship it by default.  Minor hacking to the
> makefile would be all that is needed.
>
> The other option is to have a current-urgent or current-build that
> dealt only with issues having to do with builds.  When a problem came
> up, someone would cc current-build with that problem AND solution.
> People could then make these into FAQ like entries and when the same
> thing comes up again, pointers could be posted.
>
> Comments?

Seems like an awful lot of work to get around a problem caused by
allowing CVSup in the middle of a multifile checkin and/or checkin
of code which hasn't been build between time of modification and
time of checkin and/or multiple developers simultaneously adding
code (a very rare, yet potential, collision case).

Does this strike anyone else as a discipline issue rather than
a user read-access control issue?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---