Date:      Mon, 20 Jun 2005 17:22:38 -0500
From:      Greg Barniskis <nalists@scls.lib.wi.us>
To:        Charles Howse <chowse@charter.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: qpopper error

Charles Howse wrote:
> Hi,
> In my research before posting this question, I saw this same question
> in numerous places, but I never saw a resolution!
>
> I have qpopper 4.0.5 running from inetd on FBSD 4.11.
> I start it thus: /usr/local/libexec/qpopper
> When I connect from my Mac to check my mail, I see the following in /
> var/log/messages:
>
> Jun 19 19:45:18 moe qpopper[199]: charles at 192.168.254.3
> (192.168.254.3): -ERR
> [SYS/TMP] POP authentication DB not abailable (user charles): No such
> file or directory (2)
>
> Anyone have any ideas what's wrong?

I could be mistaken, but it looks like maybe it's looking for a
separate POP user authentication database separate from /etc/passwd.
I know that we do this to support APOP logins.

Do you have /usr/local/etc/qpopper/pop.auth.db ?

You may need to initialize it and then add your username to it.

man qpopauth

South Central Library System (SCLS)
Library Interchange Network (LINK)
<gregb at scls.lib.wi.us>, (608) 266-6348