Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 2003 12:34:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Andre Guibert de Bruet <andy@siliconlandmark.com>
Cc:        Vallo Kallaste <kalts@estpak.ee>, Attila Nagy <bra@fsn.hu>, =?iso-8859-1?Q?Gerrit_K=C3=BChn?= <gerrit@pmp.uni-hannover.de>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does bg fsck have problems with large filesystems?

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, Andre Guibert de Bruet wrote:

> > I don't see it listed in 5.0-RELEASE ERRATA. Several people have now
> > reported problems with background fsck and in the case Kirk as
> > original author is loaded with other work I see no justification to
> > not mention the brokenness of bgfsck.
>
> I've been trying to reproduce this bug on my desktop. This machine has 2
> 80gb disks, one of which is dedicated with one slice. So far, after 8
> hard resets, I haven't had any problem with either the machine or bgfsck
> hanging. Here's what df's output looks like:

Following reports of problems with bgfsck during the 5.0-RC series, and
prior to the release, I spent some time adding hard disks to machines,
resetting without clean shutdowns, and then interrupting background fscks,
piles of builds going, etc. When I started, it was fairly problematic, but
after Kirk's last batch of buffer fixes, etc, it was pretty much 100%
reliable on the boxes I was testing on.  However, all those boxes used
40gb drives or smaller.  I'll see if I can't dig up some larger drives in
the next week or two and try doing that again.

robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories