Date:      Thu, 3 Oct 1996 23:13:17 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Robert Eckardt <roberte@mep.ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
To:        Mark.Olear@Colorado.EDU (Mark O'Lear)
Cc:        flaq@synwork.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com, rpt@sso.wdl.lmco.com, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Netscape 3.0 release

> > I'm sure you will hear more.  You might look at the archives.  I have been
> > through every suggested step to get Java working and it still does
> > nothing.
[..]
> I have also been through every suggested step to get Java working
> with no luck either.  The interesting thing is that it seems
> to be dependent on which display I display it on, not which computer
> I run it on.  If I run it from Linux, FreeBSD, or Solaris and display
> it on my display (FreeBSD), it does not do Java.  If I run it from
> FreeBSD and display it on the Linux or Solaris display, it works just
> fine. The Linux box and FreeBSD box have different graphics cards,

So netscape installation should be fine.

> but the same resolution (16 bpp - actually one Linux box has 8 bpp
> and the other has 16bpp and both work fine).  Basically every version
> works when displayed on the Linux or Solaris boxes, but no version
> works when displayed on my FreeBSD box.  The only differences
> between these systems (working and not working) is the
> graphics card.  Also the FreeBSD box doesn't have the
> Multi-Buffering X11 extension, while all the other systems do.

I had trouble too.

I'm running netscape-3.0gold.

I don't think there are problems with netscape not finding some class files.

As suggested on this list, the thing that finally worked for me was mkfontdir
in all the X11 font directories.
I noticed that before that there were more fonts listed in fonts.dir than I
had actually installed (fresh 2.1.5-R).
(If I remember right, it was .../X11/fonts/misc.)

Robert

--
Robert Eckardt                \\ FreeBSD -- solutions for a large universe.(tm)
RobertE@MEP.Ruhr-Uni-Bochum.de \\       What do you want to boot tomorrow ?(tm)