Date:      Thu, 08 Nov 2007 12:17:59 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@deepcore.dk>
To:        Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Henrik Brix Andersen <brix@FreeBSD.ORG>, sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 7 on Soekris net4801?

Ian Smith wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Nov 2007, Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:
>  > On Sun, Nov 04, 2007 at 02:59:36AM +1100, Ian Smith wrote:
>  > > any particular/new issues with RELENG_7 on the Soekris net4801?
>  > >=20
>  > > Thought I should check before upgrading my T23 as a build platform=
 ..
>  > > I haven't done this before, and will be relying on the howtos for =
6.X
>  >=20
>  > I recently upgraded two of my net4801s to RELENG_7 - the only proble=
>  > I have seen so far, is that savecore(8) attempts to do non-aligned D=
MA
>  > transfers and fails. I haven't had time to dig further into this iss=
ue
>  > yet, though.
>
> Thanks, Brix.  I'm wondering if that's still (again?) to do with item 3=

> at http://www.soekris.com/Issue0003.htm ? I've no idea whether a simila=
> 'quick-fix' to that given for FreeBSD 4.X to /sys/dev/ata/ata-dma.c
> would work with the 5.5-S and 6.1-R code I have here, noting that the
> alignment is now specified in bytes rather than the earlier bytes-1, so=

> '4' is presumably the value needed for dword alignment.
>
> Hmm, ok, trying to dig a little deeper .. rev 1.118 notes say:
>
>   Add support for a the National Geode SC1100. Thanks to Soekris engine=
ering
>   for sponsoring a Soekris 4801 to make this support.
>
> but I couldn't find anywhere in 1.118 or in later versions up to 1.147
> (RELENG_7, HEAD) that does anything other than 'ch->dma->alignment =3D =
2;'

> (Not that me not finding it means much :)  I also noticed at 1.137.2.2:=
=20

>   Add support for using DMA on dump, greatly speeds up the dump process=
=2E

> Copying Soren in case he may have a bead on this, but it hardly seems
> any impediment to preparation or building for it when the box arrives.
>
>  =20
Actually aligment is set to 16 but a bit untraditionally in=20
ata_national_setmode().

I should change that to do it in an ata_national_allocate() function=20
which now can contain just a few lines.

I'd figure that the problem is that the geode chip doesn't support 128=20
sector writes just up to 126, that is not honered from the dump rutine II=
RC.

-S=F8ren