Date:      Fri, 6 Jul 2001 22:35:45 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Vinum + DEVFS ?

Alfred Perlstein <bright@sneakerz.org> wrote:

>> ..., I saw a message saying that Vinum was
>> not yet ready for use with DEVFS.  Is that still the case?

> I fixed that. :) Let me and Grog know if you have problems.

It basically works for me.  Of course, vinum still has a dozen
of bugs that get uncovered once you leave the path Greg has
been testing :) (like you make a typo in your configuration...),
but that's another matter.

Anyway, since i just fell again across it: the vinum devfs volume
entries get assigned to root:wheel mode 0600.  This makes it
impossible for a member of group `operator' to dump(8) them although
operators can dump any other disk device.  We should make it
consistent (either way).

Also, i have been surprised that the /dev/vinum/plex nodes of a
mirrored volume don't show identical contents (and the second one even
seems to have the wrong device size), but that's certainly not a
problem of the DEVFS integration again, but a genuine vinum bug.