Date:      Fri, 17 Apr 1998 20:05:00 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <perlsta@fang.cs.sunyit.edu>
Cc:        emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems w/ Linux EMU

> > > but the linux emu is quite borked in -current it seems.
> > >
> > > a LOT of stuff stopped working right about a month ago.
> >
> > Really?  Where have your problem reports been then?
>
> mostly that i get "leaking" shared memory, this has been a problem as of a
> month ago or so.

I said "where", not "what".  8)  Please send problem reports with the
Linux emulation to emulation@freebsd.org (I've asked you to do this
before...)

> after staroffice 4 has been running for a few seconds it locks up and i do
> a ipcs and see all my shared segments are used up.

Do you have sound support of some sort enabled?  I'm not seeing similar
problems here.  Try removing the SYSV_SHM option from your kernel -
there are some fundamental problems to do with the differing layouts of
shared memory segments.

> this also happens with x11amp after every song it plays, it looses a
> segment every time a new song is loaded.

Turn it off, definitely.  It's not actually very useful.  8)

> also linux programs attempting to use raw sockets don't seem to work
> anymore. all this "breakage" (for me) seems to have occured about a month
> or so ago.

This is a completely useless problem report.  How about suggesting an
application, mentioning where it can be obtained, how you installed it,
and explicit steps to reproduce the problem.  If you don't, we're not
going to try to read your brain, or wander around trying to guess what
it is you're talking about - we're going to delete your messages and go
on to something that we have some hope of dealing with.

In short - the lack of action on the problems you're talking about can
be directly traced to the poor quality of your problem reports.  If
you're willing to participate just a little more in the resolution
process, you might be amazed at how much faster things get fixed.