Date:      Sun, 25 Jul 1999 22:15:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Bill Fenner <fenner@research.att.com>
Cc:        papezik@pvt.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Squid - a bug in src/sys/kern/uipc_socket.c

:I wrote it in rev 1.41 and gave it to the squid folks; it turned out
:to cause X to fail in unexplained ways so we reverted it.  Then I added
:PRUS_MORETOCOME in rev 1.50, which was supposed to have fixed the problem.
:Let's please not put the hack back in; if PRUS_MORETOCOME is broken
:let's fix it instead.
:
:Is this an observed problem on recent FreeBSD versions, or just something
:read in the Squid FAQ?
:
:  Bill

    Looking at the PRUS_MORETOCOME code again I think it does solve this
    particular problem, albeit in a somewhat more complex fashion.

    I can see why the original patch failed - it set the atomic flag
    unconditionally and blew two cases in the loop.  In general, I think
    it would have been cleaner to solve this sort of thing at the higher
    level.  That is, correcting the original patch rather then introducing the
    comparitively greater complexity of PRUS_MORETOCOME.  But since we
    would no longer be fixing a 'bug' it's up to you as the author to
    decide which solution you want.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>