Date:      Tue, 21 Dec 1999 00:45:01 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cool little 100BaseTX switch - they're coming down in price

Garance A Drosihn wrote:

> At 11:18 PM -0700 12/18/99, Wes Peters wrote:
> >Matthew Dillon wrote:
> > >     Prices have fallen a lot in the last year.  I'm happy to be able to
> > >     get rid of my HUBs, I was constantly having to deal with packet loss
> > >     when running saturation tests and never able to figure out what
> > >     was causing it.
> >
> >Switches are a better solution, no doubt about it.  They are well worth
> >the cost, even if you're just trying to pep up an old 10Base-T network.
> >Investing in 10Base-T switches at this time is a false economy; for only
> >a few dollars more per port you can get 10/100 switches like yours and
> >upgrade machines to Fast Ethernet as budget allows.
>
> Getting back to the topic of switches, I've recently bought three
> different "reasonably cheap" 10/100 switches for some testing.
> One thing I would have liked to have had was an option to "mirror"
> the traffic of one port on some other port.
> [...] but I was wondering how
> much one has to fork out before you get extra options like a
> port-mirroring capability...

Lots more, in terms of dollars.  For this, you need at least a managed
switch, and probably a smart switch.  I know for a fact this one, a
24-port 10Base-T switch with 2 10/100 uplink ports, supports port mirroring
and hundreds of other features -- about $1100:

http://shopper.cnet.com/shopping/resellers/1,10231,0-11726-311-1459828-3,00.html?tag=st.sh.11726-311-1459828.sort.price

For 24 100Base-TX ports, you step up to about $2100:

http://shopper.cnet.com/shopping/resellers/1,10231,0-11726-311-794908-3,00.html?tag=st.sh.11726-311-794908.sort.price

For more info about both, see:

http://www.ind.alcatel.com/enterprise/products/omnistack/ost04.html

Note that these are "Layer 3" switches with VLAN support, IP and IPX routing,
etc.  The per-port prices aren't that different than the simpler managed
switches, but the port count tends to be high.

Caveat: I work on these things daily.  Consider whatever I say about them
to be evangelism.  Also note that turning on software-dependent features
like port mirroring can do terrible things to your throughput if not used
judiciously.