Date:      Mon, 10 May 1999 22:31:08 +1000
From:      Jim Mock <jim@blues.ghis.net>
To:        "Jesus Monroy, Jr." <thepinkpages@email.com>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG, webmaster@freebsdmall.com
Subject:   Re: Something doesn't jive

On Sun, 09 May 1999 at 20:01:08 +0000, Jesus Monroy, Jr. wrote:
> Please understand I'm not bitching, I'm just trying to understand
> what is going on.  If this issued has been raised before, please
> point me to an appropriate thread of archive; I'll be happy to read.
>
> Anyway, recent threads have suggested that FreeBSD is not a
> "desktop" or "single-user". The suggestions have been that FreeBSD
> is better suited for high-performance workstations,
> computation-slaves and servers.
>
> However, and here is my question:
>
> How come most of the FAQs are about single-user issues?
>
> The nearest I can tell most of the "single-user" questions answered
> are about development. That is, it seems people are using FreeBSD as
> the primary development platform.  At the same time, dual-boot
> issues point in other directions.
>
> Perhaps, one of the Zines could run a poll for us some we can see
> what is up?

I'm not against putting something like this in the FreeBSD 'zine,
however, I doubt it'll make it into the upcoming issue.  Perhaps the
July issue.  I've been working on a poll script that I planned on
using for various stuff, so that won't be a problem.

However.. I've noticed alot of people don't bother to vote (if that's
what you'd call it) so I doubt the results would be very accurate.
Not to mention the number of visitors compared to the actual amount of
users.  Personally I don't think the poll will produce any usable
results.  Comments?

--
- Jim Mock - jim@blues.ghis.net - systems administrator - ghis.NET -
- work: http://www.ghis.net/ - personal: http://www.ghis.net/~jim/ -