Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 1996 08:17:42 +1000 (EST)
From:      David Nugent <davidn@sdev.usn.blaze.net.au>
To:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bug with moused and XFree86

On Fri, 11 Oct 1996 sos@FreeBSD.ORG wrote:

>> However, I've noticed two strange bugs affecting XFree86 (I've
>> consistently reproduced them with 3.1.2-S as well as the 3.1.2-G beta)
>> when moused is running.  With twm as the window manager, when I click on
>> the title-bar, the "four-corner arrow"  stays active AFTER I release the
>> mouse button, UNTIL I move the mouse (it _should_ change back to the
>> regular arrow immediately after releasing the button).
>>
>> When fvwm95 is the window manager (which defaults to click-to-focus, not
>> focus-follows-mouse), a different bug occurs.  When I click to activate a
>> new window, any characters I type are ignored, until I move the mouse (as
>> little as one pixel), then all the characters I've typed display.
>>
>> I'm running FreeBSD-current with a Microsoft-compatible serial mouse on
>> COM1.  "vidcontrol -m off" was in effect during these tests, but the
>> moused was running (started by /etc/rc.i386).

FWIW, I've noticed similar things, using fvwm2.

When the cursor changes, say, between an I-bar and an arrow
(moving onto the title bar), the cursor is likely (but not
always) to jump to an unexpected position on the screen.
Clicking on title bars will do something similar. The effect is
more noticable if you attempt to move windows arround.  Killing
moused causes the problem to simply vanish.

>How -current ??

961004-SNAP is what the kernel reports, or perhaps a day or two
later - only a week or so old max.

XFree is 3.1.2G

>Have you created the /dev/sysmouse & /dev/consolectl devices??

Yes.

>Have you enabled the emulate 3 button in moused ??

No.

>Have you enabled the emulate 3 button in XFree86 ??

No.

>What mouse device does XFree86 use ??

/dev/cuaa0

>What mouse type does XFree86 use ??

mouse systems.

moused -p /dev/cuaa0 -t mousesystems.

>I see none of the problems here, but then I use a real 3 button
>mouse and Xaccel..

This is a 3 button mouse also, but with switching from microsoft
and mouse systems mode available (but no middle button in
microsoft mode, so I tend not to use it that way).

Incidently, is there a software interface to moused available to
applications?

Regards,
David Nugent, Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-791-9547 Data/BBS +61-3-792-3507 3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn