Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2001 15:08:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: My Recommended Development/Testing environment for -current

On 28-Aug-01 Matt Dillon wrote:
>     I'm posting this as an aid to everyone doing freebsd-current development
>     and testing and may not realize how easy it is to setup a development
>     environment.

Nice stuff and close to what I do (I just share a development sys tree over NFS
now).  One thing I do in regards to kernels is this, /boot/kernel/kernel is a
clean kernel, i.e. from a clean current source, not any of my development
trees.  Kernels in development trees use stuff like this:

makeoptions     KERNEL=smpng

in their kernel config files so I have /boot/smpng/kernel, /boot/test/kernel,
/boot/preempt/kernel, etc. for my development tree kernels.  This avoids
needing to keep a kernel.good around, as /boot/kernel/kernel is always ok.