Date:      Tue, 20 Jul 2004 02:18:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Charles Sprickman <spork@fasttrackmonkey.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: disk recovery help

Hi,

Just following up to myself.  I have a bit more info.  I used vnconfig
like so to attach my dd "image":

vnconfig -s labels -c vn0 xena-home.dd

And while fsck and disklable both refuse to believe it's at all valid, I
can do the following:

mount -o ro -f /dev/vn0c /mnt/tmp

And for the most part I can move around the filesystem, read files, etc.
But it is in a very inconsistent state.  How can I make fsck work on this?
There's data there, but looking into certain dirs panics the box (it is
just a junker set aside for this task at the moment).  Here's what fsck
says:

root@skunkworks[/mnt/tmp/vpopmail/domains]# fsck /dev/vn0c ** /dev/vn0c
BAD SUPER BLOCK: VALUES IN SUPER BLOCK DISAGREE WITH THOSE IN FIRST
ALTERNATE
ioctl (GCINFO): Invalid argument
fsck: /dev/vn0c: can't read disk label

Any hints?