Date:      Fri, 21 May 2004 10:18:03 +0900
From:      Rob <stopspam@users.sourceforge.net>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Latest version of teTeX

Kay Lehmann wrote:
> Kris Kennaway wrote:
>
>> On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 11:42:06PM +0200, Kay Lehmann wrote:

>>> Okay this was my story. So in opinion it would be much better to
>>> install xdvi and dvips by default since they are definitly part of
>>> tetex and should stay a part of tetex. And maybe the
>>> config.ps/texconfig problems will be gone again. I think it would be
>>> much better not using these options if everything works as expected
>>> after installation of tetex and note users of the seperate ports that
>>> they need to deinstall these if they want to use tetex. That's just
>>> my opinion, but I thought it may help finding a solution.
>>

>> We can probably have it both ways by giving tetex a dependency on the
>> common xdvik file, pointing to a tetex-xdvik port by default.  This
>> will allow someone to safely build the alternative japanese version if
>> they want it, and the default remains as it was before the recent
>> commits.
>>
>> Kris
>

> This could be an option, too. But we need to definitly resolve the
> problems regarding the config.ps-file, if we do not want to revert to
> previous version of teTeX (see the new thread from today regarding lyx).
> It seems that there are some more people having problems with it and I
> think we should resolve this problem.
>
> Btw.: It would be nice to know what demon (sorry, I don't know his real
> name) as the maintainer is thinking about this. Anybody knows if he's in
> holidays or something like this?

The new changes to the teTeX ports seem to be rather counter productive, given
the number of complaints and frustrations to this ports list.

I myself use LyX, which depends on teTeX. With the latest teTeX, LyX stops
working properly, because teTeX by default does not install dvips anymore.
The point made ealier in this thread by Stephen is very valid: teTeX is supposed
to come with dvips, so it's silly to not add it by default in the ports.

The config.ps/texconfig problems are quite serious; it'll be a showstopper for
non-FreeBSD-gurus who install teTeX.

Regards,
Rob.