Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 00:47:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Found BAD BUG: squashed

:I suggest that we define a generic refcount type and implement
:basic kernel support for incrementing and decrementing it.
:
:These can be hand optimised and also be atomic
:there are some suggestions for this already...
:allowing the type to be a non-simple type
:gives the posibility of such debugging support being included.
:--
:      __--_|\  Julian Elischer

    I don't think this is a good idea.  The best way to get a reference
    on an object is to have an objet-specific referencing routine.  e.g.
    vget(), vrele(), vm_object_reference(), and so forth.   Some of these
    routines may well already have to obtain some sort of mutex to do their
    stuff, and doing unnecessary bus-locked instructions on top of that
    would be, well, unnecessary.  I think it is best to leave the matter up
    to the individual referencing/dereferencing procedures.  Nobody
    outside those specific routines should ever be manipulating a structure's
    ref count anyway.

						-Matt