Date:      Mon,  7 Feb 2000 13:53:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        rand@meridian-enviro.com (Douglas K. Rand)
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: a little help with Compaq Fortran

Douglas K. Rand writes:

 > All of our Intel systems run FreeBSD, but our Alphas run Digital Unix,
 > er, OSF/1, er, True64 UNIX.  :) We need a good FORTRAN90 compiler to
 > run weather models (mm5 and arps) on the Alphas. Right now the only
 > choices are True64 or Linux.   Sigh.

Do what we do: Have one designated compile machine running Tru64.  Use
that compile machine to build binaries for a cluster of Alphas running
FreeBSD.

The money we saved by not ordering Tru64 on our cluster of DS10s and
the money that we've saved by not renewing 20+ CLSG/ESL campus
software liceses & software support has probably paid for the time I've
spent porting FreeBSD to the alpha and getting OSF/1 abi compatability
to the point it is at now.