Date:      Sat, 4 May 1996 11:01:02 -0400
From:      Jeff Uphoff <juphoff@tarsier.cv.nrao.edu>
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
Subject:   Re: [Forwarded e-mail from Alexander O. Yuriev]

"OR" == Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr> writes:

OR> It seems that Jeff Uphoff said:
>> Whereas the little horned fellow wearing sneakers and carrying a cattle
>> prod is serious?

OR> Come on, even Linus himself admitted at a time he was a bit jealous
OR> of our oh so cute mascot :-)

I do seem to recall someone saying that he thought Linus was cuter
though.

(Wait...maybe the comparison was with Bill Gates and not the
FreeBSDaemon...damn this early-age senility!)

OR> What is silly in the other idea is having the penguin (or whatever
OR> logo they want to take) knocking down Chuck. It is definitely the
OR> spirit no one among Linuxers & BSDers should have.

I know...I mailed a copy of it to Matt Mead--we good-naturedly pick on
each other a fair bit about Linux & FreeBSD--and then he went and sent
it to a FreeBSD mailing list.  Bad Matt!  Bad!  (Then again, the message
originally appeared on the linux-kernel list so it's not like it was a
"secret" or anything....)

OR> We -- FreeBSD and Linux -- are competitors but not enemies. That's
OR> something I've never able to understand: raving Linux
OR> fanatics. There are also BSD raving fanatics of course but as there
OR> are more Linux fans, there are more fanatics too.

True.  *sigh* Sometimes I think the Linux community has gotten a bit big
for my tastes now.  (I especially feel this way when I look at the size
of my security mailing lists for Linux.  *Way* too big....)

--Up.

--
Jeff Uphoff - systems/network admin.  |  juphoff@nrao.edu
National Radio Astronomy Observatory  |  juphoff@bofh.org.uk