Date:      Tue, 4 Aug 1998 08:55:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, nrahlstr@winternet.com
Subject:   Re: NIS setup?

>Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 16:27:09 -0500 (CDT)
>From: Nathan Ahlstrom <nrahlstr@winternet.com>

>I am attempting to get NIS running on my home network.
>Setup looks like this:  portage (server) inferno(client)

>portage# ps -ax | grep yp
>10105  ??  Ss     0:00.04 ypserv
>10114  ??  Is     0:00.01 rpc.yppasswdd

I'm a little surprised that you don't have ypbind also running on the
server; certainly on my home network, the NIS server is also a client --
with only a couple of machines, having half of them use a different
source of password information than the other half rather reduces the
incentive for using NIS for passwords in the first place.

>inferno# ps -ax | grep yp
>12309  ??  Is     0:00.01 ypbind -s

>If I run yppasswd on the client and I get the following output
>each time.

>inferno% passwd -y
>Changing NIS password for nrahlstr on portage.winternet.com.
>Old Password:
>passwd: sorry

>Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks.

Well, that message indicates that the getpw*() routines on inferno have
a different notion of the correct password for "nrahlstr" than what you
entered.

Did you use vipw to append the "+:::::::::" line for each client?
(Note:  in the special case of the NIS server also acting as a client, I
make the source for the NIS maps a directory other than /etc on the
server.  That allows me to include that "magic cookie" line without
having an entry derived from it in the NIS passwd-related maps.)

You may also want to have an entry of a similar form for your
group-oriented NIS maps.

david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621