Date:      Mon, 13 Jan 1997 00:53:43 +0100 (MET)
From:      Robert Eckardt <roberte@mep.ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   resolver on 2.2-BETA

Hello,

after upgrading to 2.2-BETA_A I noticed that something has changed with
the resolver.
In releases up to 2.1.5 it was sufficient for me to type e.g.
`telnet hadron.tp2' to reach a different subdomain in the same
domain of our university. (The resolver tried besides `hadron.tp2' also
`hadron.tp2.ruhr-uni-bochum.de' and `hadron.tp2.mep.ruhr-uni-bochum.de')

However, now `telnet hadron.tp2.ruhr-uni-bochum.de' (or the IP#, which
is shorter :-) is required.

FYI:
/etc/resolv.conf:
domain  mep.ruhr-uni-bochum.de
nameserver      134.147.6.1

/etc/host.conf:
hosts
bind
# nis

uname -a:
FreeBSD ghost 2.2-BETA_A FreeBSD 2.2-BETA_A #1: Sat Jan 11 02:57:21 MET 1997     roberte@ghost:/usr/src/sys/compile/GHOST22_1  i386

(I also tried with hostname ghost.mep.ruhr-uni-bochum.de.)

Can I configure something to get the old behaviour, is this a bug
or was it done to comply with some standard ?

TIA,
Robert

--
Robert Eckardt                \\ FreeBSD -- solutions for a large universe.(tm)
RobertE@MEP.Ruhr-Uni-Bochum.de \\       What do you want to boot tomorrow ?(tm)