Date:      Sat, 2 Sep 2017 21:07:25 +0100
From:      Rafal Lukawiecki <raf@rafal.net>
To:        Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   pkg.freebsd.org mirror having issues?

As a new FreeBSD user I wonder if it is a frequent problem. I am =
suddenly experiencing very slow access to the local mirrors of =
pkg.freebsd.org. Even a small file takes almost a minute. Updating =
FreeBSD repository catalogue (when using pkg) takes about 5-6 minutes. I =
have tried using several different machines from different IPs, all =
within AWS eu-west (Ireland). It was working well all week.

The local mirror seems to resolve to dualstack.nonssl.global.fastly.net =
(151.101.60.204) at the moment. Pingtime is not bad, 9ms, but their =
server takes almost a minute before it starts serving files. Once the =
file starts, it comes fast. I assume it is some sort of a server issue =
at their end at Fastly, perhaps they have a dead machine in the pool =
which makes it intermittent.

As I am building an automated server init, this means that instead of =
having a server provisioned in <5 min, it can take 20-35 mins, by which =
time it is not even considered to exist by the load balancer.

Is this common? Should I start (somehow) specifying individual mirrors =
directly? Thank you very much for your wisdom.
--
Rafal Lukawiecki
Data Scientist=20