Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 2006 11:53:04 +0800
From:      ke han <ke.han@redstarling.com>
To:        cothrige <cothrige@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Getting started with FreeBSD

Patrick,
Since you are already knowledgeable of X-11 apps on slackware, this
opinion may not concern you.
My opinion of FreeBSD is do not try to configure X-11 desktops and
apps with it.  Its just too much effort.  I have the same opinion of
any *nix system that require the user to install/configure their own
desktop experience.
If you want a good desktop that does provide updates to some apps
(firefox included), start with PC-BSD, http://www.pcbsd.org.  This is
built on FreeBSD 6.x and keeps the base enough as in the FreeBSD.org
release so as to enable you a true freebsd system so you can still
use ports or packages in addition to PC-BSD's PBI installer....but
without the trouble of integrating and maintaining your own desktop
experience.
enjoy, ke han