Date:      Tue, 11 Nov 1997 15:26:57 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, FreeBSD Mobile <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: interesting pcmcia card behavior...

> > > and that was with no card in the machine...  so I then tried to put
> > > the ethernet card back in, but no go...
> >
> > What happenned there?  Did you wait about 5-10 seconds for things to get
> > done?  Define 'no go' please.
>
> I get a:
> Card inserted, slot 0
>
> then nothing else...  if I remove the card, then reinsert it...  then
> it comes up fine..

Hmm, it *should* work fine at this point, but I can see where it might
not.  (Again, it's based on my 'fake' insertion message which would get
pccardd confused.)

> > > so then I suspended my machine,
> > > put the card in, then resumed the machine... I got a:
> > > ep0: eeprom failed to come ready.
> > > ep0: failed to come ready.
> > > Nov 11 12:58:51 note pccardd[37]: driver allocation failed for 3Com Corporation
> >
> > This could be related to (what I consider to be) the interrupt problem
> > that Guido is also seeing, or something that I have no idea on.  It's
> > hard to debug remotely, so I'm just guessing here.  I need more
> > information and someone willing to go in and find out what's going
> > wrong.
>
> yeh.. I was thinking that might be the case...  basicly the removal of
> the card would release the interrupt, which would enable the second time
> I insert the card to work...
>
> I might take a look at what's up, but the major problem is that I don't
> have enough hard disk space on my notebook (340megs isn't much), and
> working/looking at code over a 500ms latency connection isn't fun...

You only need the kernel/include sources online, which are about
20-30MB, plus another 10MB for the 'built' kernel.

> > > I also tried to insert my modem while it was in the above state (thinking
> > > a card was really in the slot), and I got the sio2: probe test 3 failed
> > > message.. and now the card doesn't work, even after I get the ethernet
> > > card to behave properly...
> > >
> > > Toshiba T1960CS, Intel 82365, old 486dx2/50, video is standard VGA, not
> > > local bus (isa)... 3c589b, Megahertz 14.4k (XJ144)..
> >
> > *shot in the dark*
> >
> > Can you try (before doing a suspend) enabling the pcic_resume sysctl and
> > see if that makes any difference?
>
> that makes it work the first time I insert the card..

But not after the suspend?  Didn't it always work the first time you
inserted the card, since the resume sysctl is never even in the picture
until suspend/resume.

Nate