Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 1996 11:05:19 +0000 ()
From:      ywliu <team_fbf@pristine.com.tw>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        team_fbf@pristine.com.tw, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: D-Link PCI NE2000 clone supported ?

> ywliu stands accused of saying:
> >
> > I just wonder, if D-LINK PCI NE2000 clone Ethernet card (I forgot
> > its product number) is supported by FreeBSD 2.1R ? If yes, we
> > plan to buy dozens of it.
>
> AFAIK, not by 2.1R.
>
> The only real reason for buying a PCI ethernet card is speed.  The NE2000
> interface model is not a speedy one.
>
> If you want lots of cheap ethernet cards, buy cheap ISA ethernet cards.
>
> If you want lots of high-performance ethernet cards, buy decent PCI
> ethernet cards.  Anything based on the Digital DC2404x (except Compex)
> is a good buy, or the new Intel PCI cards are good choices.  The latter
> would require you to upgrade to -stable, which would be a good idea
> anyway.

Yes, we need a high-end PC to be a server and that's why we need a decent PCI
Ethernet card, rather than a cheap clone.

But after pursuing the release notes of 2.1R, I cannot find any PCI card
explicitly supported and noted there. Could you or anyone recommend
some brands of supported PCI Ethernet cards ?

Thanks for your help.

Yen-Wei Liu