Date:      Fri, 07 Aug 1998 09:52:03 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Martin Welk <mw@freibergnet.de>
To:        Andrew Petrenko <apl@webber.net.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: SCO binaries and FreeBSD 2.2.7-stable

On 06-Aug-98 Andrew Petrenko wrote:

()  Need help.
()  i run FoxPro 2.6. for SCO on FreeBSD and get error
()
()  Too many files open.
()
()  in login.conf i set
()  ...
()  openfiles=254
()  openfiles-cur=254
()  ...
()
()  what can i do for run FoxPro?

I haven't run FoxPro, but probably editing login.conf is not enough:
have you built a custom kernel?

Have a look at /sys/i386/conf/LINT:

#
# Under some circumstances it is convenient to increase the defaults
# for the maximum number of processes per user and the maximum number
# of open files files per user.  E.g., (1) in a large news server, user
# `news' may need more than 100 concurrent processes.  (2) a user may
# need lots of windows under X.  In both cases, it may be inconvenient
# to start all the processes from a parent whose soft rlimit on the
# number of processes is large enough.  The following options work by
# changing the soft rlimits for init.
#
options         CHILD_MAX=128
options         OPEN_MAX=128

This may be the limitation you run into.

If you haven't already made a custom kernel, it's a good point to start
with /sys/i386/conf/GENERIC: copy it, and add the options mentioned above
and increase them. For my desktop machine, I've used 256/256, as that's
yet enough (although with 128 MByte RAM I wouldn't have problems increasing
it more, it's just being somewhat conventional).

For building a new kernel, consult the documentation - look at the FreeBSD
handbook, section 19 (Add New Kernel Configuration Options).

If you have already made that, check your user limits. May be, you have done
something wrong in /etc/login.conf or simply haven't added the appropriate
class for the login in /etc/passwd.

I'm using bash 2.01.1 as included in the ports for 2.2.6-RELEASE,
the built-in ulimit command gives the necessary information:

mw@zoo:/home/wheel/mw 659 $ ulimit -a
core file size (blocks)     unlimited
data seg size (kbytes)      262144
file size (blocks)          unlimited
max locked memory (kbytes)  unlimited
max memory size (kbytes)    32768
open files                  1024
pipe size (512 bytes)       1
stack size (kbytes)         65536
cpu time (seconds)          unlimited
max user processes          64
virtual memory (kbytes)     327680

Dunno about other shells. As I'm simply to lazy to change the information
to something making more sense, I've given myself same limits as the root
account, because of that I never have to care about limits. You'll have to
check for your own if this is a good way :-) As I'm the only one working
on my machine, it's no problem. And if some application crashes or eats up
memory, I don't have to care, at least, not yet :-)

Regards,

Martin
--
Liebscher & Partner Werbeagentur GbR    //                    Martin Welk
Advertising, Art Design & DTP          //          network administration