Date:      Tue, 16 Jun 1998 01:15:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bkogawa@primenet.com>
To:        fewtch@serv.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD <--> Win95 via Ethernet.. Help!

In localhost.freebsd.questions you write:

>Hi all,

>I'm trying to network my Win95 PC to FreeBSD on another PC via Ethernet
>(works just fine Win95 to Win95 so it's not hardware related).  I've tried
>both basic TCP/IP and IPX on the Win95 machine (enabled/set up in rc.conf
>on the BSD machine, of course).  The packets are getting received on the
>FreeBSD machine, but I get "Socket : Protocol not supported" messages and

Where -- on the Win95 machine, or the FreeBSD machine?

>nothing else happens.  I tried to connect via anonymous FTP to the FreeBSD
>machine, and the socket connected, but then it just sits there and does
>nothing forever - no welcome message, nothing (I'm sure I set it up right).
>Yes, I set "TCP Extensions = YES" in rc.conf.  Doesn't help.

1.  FreeBSD expects to do a reverse name lookup when you FTP, so you
need to have a name server running or /etc/hosts configured with the
reverses properly specified.  Otherwise, ftp may take a minute or more
to return a prompt.  This is also true of telnet.

Also, make sure that your routing, etc are specified correctly on both
the Win95 and FreeBSD machines.

what does ifconfig -a say on the FreeBSD machine?

--
bryan k ogawa  <bkogawa@primenet.com>   http://www.primenet.com/~bkogawa/