Date:      Sat, 10 Aug 2013 12:38:04 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        "r_olivarez@juno.com" <r_olivarez@juno.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New to Free-BSD with questions.

On Sat, 10 Aug 2013 09:58:07 GMT, r_olivarez@juno.com wrote:
> New to Free-BSD. Downloaded a current ISO image and burned it to a DVD.
> System boots from DVD to command line mode.

It should boot into a text mode installer. After installation,
FreeBSD usually boots into a text mode (depending on what has
been installed and configured already).

> Questions are:
> A.) Is Xwindows, (X11) included on the DVD copy?

If I remember correctly, the required packages are part
of the DVD #1. If you are already connected to the Internet,
you can use that "medium" as installation source.

Just a side note: PC-BSD, a system derived from FreeBSD,
offers a graphical installer and a more tight integration
with GUI-centric concepts (installs X automatically and
even brings a desktop environment preinstalled).

> B.) If included, what command is used to start it?

It depends. If you want to start X from a regular login
shell, "startx" is used. But a display manager which
maintains a GUI login (like xdm) can also be used.

See the handbook for more details:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-install.html

And don't miss the excellent FAQ:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/

> C.) What shell is installed as the standard shell in command line mode?

FreeBSD's default dialog shell is the C Shell (more precisely,
the tcsh). The command shell in single user mode (maintenance
mode) is a plain Bourne-alike shell (sh), which is also the
systems default scripting shell. You can install shells like
ksh, zsh and bash if you like.

> D.) Is there a site that I can download a complete copy of
> the documentation for Free-BSD, as one file and not a
> series/set of separate files?

Not that I know of, because the documentation on the web is
primarily for use with a web browser, that's why it's hierarchically
designed and separated. However, the documentation is part of
the FreeBSD installation, and you can generate PS and PDF "book",
as _one_ (voluminous) file, from them (even though I've never
tried that).

You can use a tool like wget to download a copy of the web
documentation for offline use (keeping the mentioned
separation). The web pages contain a "Split HTML" and
"Single HTML" option, so you could maybe simply save
this web page

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/book.html

for the FAQ, and

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/book.html

for The FreeBSD Handbook, but it might be unhandy for printing.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany