Date:      Fri, 05 Sep 1997 17:14:58 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: High-resolution displays

> I want to set up a laptop running FreeBSD to use when I'm working out
> of town.  My main use for it will probably be to connect to my office
> network using PPP and access my e-mail.  I want to run X11 on it, and
> I'd like to have 1024x768 or better resolution (ideally), or at least
> 800x600.  I need it to have an ethernet interface too, for when I'm
> at home.  I don't care about CD-ROM drives or any sort of multimedia.

I would be inclined to suggest that you should look at the high-end
Toshiba systems, based on my recent experiences.

Your principal concern will be with the video chipset in use; at least
the lower-end Toshiba I'm using uses the C&T 65554, which is very well
supported by the XFree86 people.  Toshiba's current configuration with
this chip is 2M of video memory, so you can run 1024x768x16bpp, or
1280x1024x8bpp on an external monitor.

Be extremely wary of anything using the Cirrus chipsets, as they are
not supported well by XFree86 or by Accelerated-X (eg. Sharp units), or
anything using the NeoMagic chips (eg. Dell).  Neither of these will
make you happy.

As for ethernet; either the 3Com 3c589 or an NE2000 clone PCCARD like
the Accton EN2216 will work just fine.  Get a separate modem (combo
cards aren't supported) card; prettymuch anything should work just fine.

Having a CD-ROM can be handy sometimes.

> Also, is the hi-res laptop support generally better in the Xaccel
> server than in XFree86?

No, not really.

mike