Date:      Sun, 9 Jul 2000 19:54:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@nwlink.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Brett Glass (Re: No port of Opera? (Was: ((FreeBSD : Linux) :: (OS/2 :   Windows))) )

On Sat, 8 Jul 2000, Brett Glass wrote:

> >The FreeBSD ABI was your idea, though I predict it was merely a rhetorical
> >device. You develop it!
>
> As if Jordan developed everything alone....

Oh, for pity's sake, Brett, what is your obsession with Jordan? I don't
know how much contribution jkh actually had to the linuxulator
development, but I'm certain he didn't do it by saying "you over there,
write this code because I think it would be a good thing, and it's time
you showed your support for FreeBSD by working on it"

I'm getting mighty sick of your tactic of popping up on the mailing lists
every few months, arguing loudly at everyone in sight that "FreeBSD must
do X if it is to survive, unfortunately I can't/won't actually do any of
the work myself but trust me, it's for your own good and besides, you
should all offer me respect and gratitude because I work so damn hard for
FreeBSD in other ways"

You seem to be a member of a class of FreeBSD mailing list participators
who believes that they have the right to direct the people who actually do
the work on FreeBSD, without having gained the respect of your peers by
actually providing something of greater value to earn that respect. People
who have actually done this sometimes find they *can* convince other
people to do work for them based on that mutual respect, but it doesn't
come for free.

FreeBSD is a meritocracy, and repeatedly indulging in behaviour which
makes your intended target audience think you're a steam-powered idiot is
an unproductive strategy at best.

You do realise that by now you've managed to alienate the majority of
FreeBSD developers to the point where they automatically stamp everything
emerging from the mouth of Brett Glass under 'W' for Waste of time, don't
you?

Kris