Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 1996 00:48:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      James FitzGibbon <james@nexis.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Redundancy in FBSD web server

I need to set up a web server that (in my client's humble words) "CANNOT
EVER BE DOWN".  They've got the budget, so I recommended two servers that
can serve domains concurrently.

I'd be interested in hearing how people have/would implement this.  My
thoughts so far would be to:

a) Use a powerful box as the main server, with a backup box mirroring
sites and ready to take over should the main one go down.

-or-

b) Use machines of equal power, using a DNS entry with multiple A records
to shuffle requests back and forth.

Opinions appreciated, including ways of detecting a downed host and taking
over (ifconfig aliasing) IPs of a machine that has crashed.

Thanks.

--
j.

| James FitzGibbon                                         james@nexis.net |
| Integrator, The Nexis Group                     Voice/Fax : 416 410-0100 |